Skip to main content

#BFF GOALS


My best friend was coming out to me, in the dead of the night, whispering between the upper bunk beds of oh so adventurous high school. I was alert to the details of her new awakened feelings for a woman, even though I had not declared my own sexuality to her yet. My lover and I were still a secret, even to ourselves. At that moment, when she began telling me, I knew I wanted to stand with her, for her. When she began, I knew I was going to be one of those woke best friends, that was when she began. 

Then she elaborated these feelings. There had been an object of her burning desire, ‘your new friend,’ she said, ‘I think I want your new friend.’ Maybe at that point, if the lights to our overcrowded dorm had been on, she would have noticed the despair that sketched itself across my face. Maybe, she would have read the words of Don’t you Dare in my eyes and stopped there. Maybe she would have seen how I had to ball up my fists to keep the words in. Maybe she would have realized that we were here once again, that we had wanted the same person, again. But I wanted to be one of those woke best friends, and I urged her continue.

She told me. she told me about how our woman smiled her loop-sided smile, and I could see it so vividly. She told me about how her hair was soft to the touch, and I could almost run my fingers through it. She told me about how she sang her that one song in her croaky voice, how much it awoke her, and I could hear the voice sink into my heart like a dagger, a twisting dagger. She told me about how power rolled off her when she spoke, and the memory hit me in waves. She told me how much she wanted to grab her and kiss her every time she licked her lips, and I licked my lips, relating. I should have stopped her there, but I wanted to be one of those woke best friends, so I bought front row seats to my own pain. 

Then she told me about the way our lover visited her in the day, I recognized these absences, frequent and long. She told me about the way she looked at her, and all those stares I had balanced off against friendship tipped the scales. I wanted to ask what it felt like to kiss our lover’s lips, but was afraid she would tell me, and I would relate. So, I sat in the dark, long after my best friend has slept, being a woke best friend, drafting speeches I would give to our lover in the morning, asking her to love my best friend too, to share herself with her. And when the morning came, I delivered the best draft, and I felt like a woke best friend, until the pain came.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLAN INTERRUPTUS

  There was a whole flow of events set in motion the day I was born. Just like it was for my mother and her mother before her, I was to be raised to be a lady, a wife, a mother, a little of a leader and an all round confident woman. In my early years mother did her part. She nursed me and kept me with her in the kitchen, she occasionally took me to work with her so i could learn the value of an education, she recited stories while i played at her feet and taught me how to care for my younger siblings. With time she taught me that the inside of my body was alive and that i would one day bleed from it. She explained the miracle that is bearing a child and then delivered the stern warning to not dare try. I know, this the chorus to most girl child upbringing. Mine was punctuated by the teachings of my pastor father and my inherited religion every so often, by the time i was eight i had a special sermon to keep the boys away. After that was expected the actual exercise of keeping the boy

COITUS INTERRUPTUS

The world was blown away by a fem positive revolution around 2010/11.My little world at the time was taken by storm by Oprah and Ellen. I decided i had found the word i was looking for. To hear an echo of what was my story from a woman of color and a queer woman both from the across the globe inspired me. I made the mistake of speaking the word to my father. It was at a family dinner, he had just served himself the lion share(oh the African culture) and was settling comfortably into his seat.I turned to my mother and told her we had learnt about rape at school that day. My mother did not miss a beat, she said " That is not table conversation." The very next day and every day after that there was a cold knife on my neck when he came to take me. I realize that I had been captivated by the success stories. I had looked past the process of coming to terms. I tried again, when i met my first girlfriend five years ago, and this time I was ready for the hurt, confusion, guilt and