Skip to main content

MY LOVER WAS NOT MINE


He used to come over Wednesdays or Thursdays, never one day after the other, never too early, never too late. He knew how to bring it up, at the right time, in the right way. He knew the meanders and corners of the dirt road that led up to my mother’s house where I would be waiting. He knew how to unlock the front door, where to return the key after locking us in and just how to arrange his shoes at the door for smooth flight. He knew the way to the spare bedroom where he would find me waiting, sometimes I would meet him at the door like I was supposed to meet my husband, only he wasn’t my husband. My lover knew how to come to me.

He knew how to speak to me with his eyes, he knew every button just by touch, he knew where every cloth should fall on the red floor and all with his lips still on mine he knew how to find himself under me. my lover knew how to look into my eyes while he put my legs around his waist. He knew how to turn up the ringer on both our phones, so our mothers could reach us when they needed to. He knew how to kiss me, breathless. He knew exactly what part of my body praised him when he touched and what tempo he needed to maintain on the joining of our sins. He knew the language I spoke when I did not need to say a word. he knew when it had been long enough for me to be ready for him. My lover knew how to make love to me.

He knew how to let me straddle him, so he could watch me mount him and sit upon his form like a queen on her throne. He knew how to let me take control. He knew how to control my control so that as his hands cupped my breasts my back would arch and I would meet him in the final lap like we had done so many times before. He knew how to let me sit there a while longer after he was done. He knew how to let me throw one thic thigh across his body when I dismounted so we could glow in unison. He knew how to hold me while I dozed off and he knew how to let me kiss his chin while he slept. He knew how to laugh at me when he caught me staring and how to playfully make me blush. My lover knew the after-sex ritual.

He knew how to follow me into the bathroom where we would wash up. He knew how to put on all his clothes while I put on mine. He knew how to sit fully dressed on that seat right next to the door and make idle conversation before he could kiss me farewell. He knew how to unlink our fingers when I held on; he knew how to tear his eyes away when he had to go.  He knew how to lock the door after him. He knew how to leave ten minutes before my mother came back home. My lover knew how to say goodbye. 


My lover knew how to pay me no attention in the presence of others. He knew to touch my hand just enough for a halo and how to look at me just enough for exchanged pleasantries. My lover knew how to love me like a secret.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#BFF GOALS

My best friend was coming out to me, in the dead of the night, whispering between the upper bunk beds of oh so adventurous high school. I was alert to the details of her new awakened feelings for a woman, even though I had not declared my own sexuality to her yet. My lover and I were still a secret, even to ourselves. At that moment, when she began telling me, I knew I wanted to stand with her, for her. When she began, I knew I was going to be one of those woke best friends, that was when she began.  Then she elaborated these feelings. There had been an object of her burning desire, ‘your new friend,’ she said, ‘I think I want your new friend.’ Maybe at that point, if the lights to our overcrowded dorm had been on, she would have noticed the despair that sketched itself across my face. Maybe, she would have read the words of Don’t you Dare in my eyes and stopped there. Maybe she would have seen how I had to ball up my fists to keep the words in. Maybe she would have realized

COITUS INTERRUPTUS

The world was blown away by a fem positive revolution around 2010/11.My little world at the time was taken by storm by Oprah and Ellen. I decided i had found the word i was looking for. To hear an echo of what was my story from a woman of color and a queer woman both from the across the globe inspired me. I made the mistake of speaking the word to my father. It was at a family dinner, he had just served himself the lion share(oh the African culture) and was settling comfortably into his seat.I turned to my mother and told her we had learnt about rape at school that day. My mother did not miss a beat, she said " That is not table conversation." The very next day and every day after that there was a cold knife on my neck when he came to take me. I realize that I had been captivated by the success stories. I had looked past the process of coming to terms. I tried again, when i met my first girlfriend five years ago, and this time I was ready for the hurt, confusion, guilt and

PLAN INTERRUPTUS

  There was a whole flow of events set in motion the day I was born. Just like it was for my mother and her mother before her, I was to be raised to be a lady, a wife, a mother, a little of a leader and an all round confident woman. In my early years mother did her part. She nursed me and kept me with her in the kitchen, she occasionally took me to work with her so i could learn the value of an education, she recited stories while i played at her feet and taught me how to care for my younger siblings. With time she taught me that the inside of my body was alive and that i would one day bleed from it. She explained the miracle that is bearing a child and then delivered the stern warning to not dare try. I know, this the chorus to most girl child upbringing. Mine was punctuated by the teachings of my pastor father and my inherited religion every so often, by the time i was eight i had a special sermon to keep the boys away. After that was expected the actual exercise of keeping the boy