Skip to main content

FALLING BACK

I  was convinced my phobia for men was all in my head. This was after countless speeches had been made to my benefit by the friends in had gathered around me in high school. I was 15, physically mature for an eighteen year old and how my mother prayed all this matched my brain. I had been convinced i needed not to freeze every time a man said my name or to rudely brush off the boys when they came professing their love. Even my therapists agreed, I was to act my age, they said. I was to have a normal teenage life they said.

The problem was i was already past the teenage life. Every man was a means to quench the fires that had been left unattended inside me. Every touch reignited the flames so fast I had time only to convince myself that I wanted more than their idle words, that I wanted to feel flesh consume me, bury me, cover me. And even then, as our bodies would mold together my mind would be plotting the next time, the next place, the next how. It was  a never ending cycle of me trying to catch up with all the burn I needed to cool, the itch I needed to scratch, the moans stuck in my throat that needed to be liberated. 

Every act was void of emotion. I never looked for these boys again and even when they found me I would run still. Because I would hate myself even more for becoming what my father made me. Words that were reserved for the ladies of the night ; I gave myself every day so that the shame was worth it. Every accusatory stare I had received from the women at the market was finally earned. I hated myself so much I wished to match their imaginations only so I could escape my own pain. Every stroke numbed numbed me. 

And then i met B. She was like a symphony of religion and sin. When she touched me, every whisper was silenced. I  was addicted to the way she calmed my aching. I wanted her, but it was not desperate. It was patient and deliberate. Every kiss was left in ellipses, it never ended. Every touch was the beginning of a story we would come back to over and over again but the story never eneded. She did no take me, not even once, she gave me. She gave me love, and hurt, and power, and strength. We would flirt across the room with only our eyes and yet I would be consumed by a need to be. 

Those friends still deliver their speeches, and now that we are older and wiser, they have gathered religion, society and morality for references. Those many years ago I would have swayed again, but I have been loved by a woman, and I have fallen right back for her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#BFF GOALS

My best friend was coming out to me, in the dead of the night, whispering between the upper bunk beds of oh so adventurous high school. I was alert to the details of her new awakened feelings for a woman, even though I had not declared my own sexuality to her yet. My lover and I were still a secret, even to ourselves. At that moment, when she began telling me, I knew I wanted to stand with her, for her. When she began, I knew I was going to be one of those woke best friends, that was when she began.  Then she elaborated these feelings. There had been an object of her burning desire, ‘your new friend,’ she said, ‘I think I want your new friend.’ Maybe at that point, if the lights to our overcrowded dorm had been on, she would have noticed the despair that sketched itself across my face. Maybe, she would have read the words of Don’t you Dare in my eyes and stopped there. Maybe she would have seen how I had to ball up my fists to keep the words in. Maybe she would have reali...

MY LOVER WAS NOT MINE

He used to come over Wednesdays or Thursdays, never one day after the other, never too early, never too late. He knew how to bring it up, at the right time, in the right way. He knew the meanders and corners of the dirt road that led up to my mother’s house where I would be waiting. He knew how to unlock the front door, where to return the key after locking us in and just how to arrange his shoes at the door for smooth flight. He knew the way to the spare bedroom where he would find me waiting, sometimes I would meet him at the door like I was supposed to meet my husband, only he wasn’t my husband. My lover knew how to come to me. He knew how to speak to me with his eyes, he knew every button just by touch, he knew where every cloth should fall on the red floor and all with his lips still on mine he knew how to find himself under me. my lover knew how to look into my eyes while he put my legs around his waist. He knew how to turn up the ringer on both our phones, so our mothe...

THE ONE THAT RAN AWAY

There is that one person we can swear our love by. There is always that heartbeat that you could listen to on repeat for your whole life. There is that one human whose existence is the reason for yours. They might be the one you go home to every day, or maybe the one that got away. I have a love like that, they were my bane, my existence, my every next breathe, but they were also the one that ran away. They ran.  Their name was Don. Don was a cocktail of intellect and beauty. We spent hours talking about Philosophy, Religion, love, music, our dreams, Their hair and pain in equal measure. The beauty of her light skin and baby soft hair was a bonus. When Don smiled, my world lit up. We had very few hours together really, but I remember every minute of it, all the places their body would meet mine, there still is a simmering sensation. Every morning text is engraved in my mind, every echo of their laughter haunts my house. There was no moment in the 12+ months we were together when ...